Top Ten 2017 Debuts I’m Excited For
Top Ten Tuesdays are hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we make lists of our top ten books (or something else!) based on that week’s prompt. The topics are provided ahead of time and can be found here. Book links bring you to Goodreads or my review.
I have to be honest and say I do a terrible job about keeping up with debut authors vs. the authors putting out their sophomore novel vs. the people who have a million books out. I can only keep track of my favorite authors in my brain apparently. Because of this, I joined in with the 2016 Debut Author Challenge last year. It was fun to keep track of how many debuts I read… especially because I almost never intentionally read them because they were debuts! Jana creates a Google spreadsheet to keep track of the debuts for the challenge participants, so I decided to take a peek at her list to form the TTT.
You’ll see that some of these books have definitely been featured on my blog before, while the majority of them haven’t been talked about yet. I’m trying to include less contemporary fiction than usual too; I’ve noticed a trend for these where quite a few are mystery/thrillers. In any case, here are 10 books by 2017 debut authors that I’m looking forward to reading!
- Juniper Lemon’s Happiness Index by Julie Israel | I don’t know what to say about this one that I haven’t already said on my blog. I love the idea of this story and the adorable cover. I NEED IT.
- To Catch a Killer by Sheryl Scarborough | I just added this one to my TBR and it looks really intriguing. Here I go with murder mysteries. This cover is really cool and creepy too!
- One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus | This has also been shown off on the blog before. I love the idea of The Breakfast Club with a little bit of M U R D E R mixed in.
- The Big F by Maggie Ann Martin | I’m really hoping for a cute, fluffy contemporary where a girl goes to community college and falls for her childhood crush. Give me that.
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon | This cover is way too adorable and I love the idea of this book. It’s one of the top diverse reads I plan to get to ASAP once its published.
- You Don’t Know My Name by Kristen Orlando | I’m always a huge fan of the secret-teenage-spy premise, so this was added quickly to my TBR. It reminds me of a character from Gallagher Girls too.
- Cold Summer by Gwen Cole | Usually historical fiction doesn’t find a spot on my TBR (even though I like it in certain cases), but you can bet your ass it’s on there when there’s time travel involved.
- Almost Missed You by Jessica Strawser | Honestly this doesn’t sound like YA, but I’m totally including it because it sounds incredibly intriguing. I love all the secrets and big reveals it promises!
- The Hidden Memory of Objects by Danielle Mages Amato | I love the idea that a girl can see her brother’s memories by touching his belongings after he dies. SO GOOOOD.
- Aftercare Instructions by Bonnie Pipkin | Abortion is always a taboo topic and it shouldn’t be. I like that this focuses on the aftereffects of having one and how it impacts her life.
I’m dying to read Cold Summer by Gwen Cole, it sounds soooo amazing. I love WWII stuff, and I adore a good time-travel romance. I also don’t normally read historical fiction, but this one sounds like something I would enjoy. Plus, the cover is so beautiful. Awesome list!
Brittany @ Brittany’s Book Rambles
I like WWII stuff too but I don’t read enough of it! Same with general historical fiction. Thank you 🙂
OMG Juniper Lemon sounds perfect! I love the sound of it and that cute cover!
The Big F sounds fantastic too! I need to add them to my TBR.
And you already know how much I loved Dimple! I can’t wait for you to read it. 🙂
I CAN’T WAIT. I don’t know why I’m so excited for it but it just sounds like the best. I can’t wait for Dimple either!!
I’m so excited for “To Catch A Killer”, “You Don’t Know My Name” and “One of Us is lying”. And I can’t seem to find other people talking about “One of Us is Lying” But it’s pitched as two of my favorites.
Yes so many great ones!! I think I first saw Juniper on your blog and it made my list too. Oh the Big F is one I need to look into . Great list!!
Thank you! <3
I just pre-ordered You Don’t Know My Name the other day because it was only like 10 dollars! It comes out the same time as Windwitch which I also pre-ordered so Jan. 10 will be an amazing day. When Dimple Met Rishi is all over the blogs today, and I can’t believe I forgot to add it to my list!
oooh I preordered Windwitch too! I’m excited for that date!
I’m looking forward to pretty much all of these too. One of Us is Lying & To Catch a Killer sound phenomenal. They’re so high on my priority list – cannot wait for their release. Great list, Lauren!
Thank you! 🙂
Because I have been trying to read more books that I have on my shelves and already own, I’ve really toned down on looking at books being released :3 It’s one of my tricks to make me buy less. But I was curious, and so many of these I haven’t heard of before! Cold Summer especially looks interesting.
My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2017/01/a-new-year-new-leaf.html
Haha I know what you mean – I should do that too!
I haven’t actually paid attention to debuts very much in the last two years. But I’m definitely hoping to remedy that in 2017! It helps that a lot of these (and a couple of others) are definitely on my radar to check out 😉
I felt the same way last year, that’s why I joined that challenge! But I think it’s fun to keep track of new authors and become a fan from the beginning!
One of Us is Lying sounds so awesome. Cold Summer also sounds great. It’s free to read on Edelweiss right now!
Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian
Woah I need to grab that one then!!!
One of Us is Lying is definitely one of my most anticipated! It just sounds so interesting and I’m curious how can someone die during detention omg :O