I’d heard of Booktubeathon on and off over the years, but definitely assumed it was more for Booktubers. With the recent name change to Reading Rush (learn more and sign up there), I decided to finally investigate and participate! The gist is that you just try to read as much as possible during this week. The coolest part of the challenge, in my opinion, is that there’s a website you can sign up for and track your reading progress. All of your stats will populate and you can really see how much reading you got done during the readathon. Add me as a friend HERE! I’d love to hang out and track with ya 🙂 More information is here in the video:
This Reading Rush readathon will be taking place from July 22nd through July 28th, so I am trying to mold my July TBR into this challenge without having to skip books I’m supposed to read, or read too much outside of the initial TBR I picked. I can’t imagine that I’ll read 7 books for this one because I do have weekend plans that will hinder reading. I’d love to finish 4-5 books during the readathon and only finish/read books that meet challenges below. A few books from my July TBR will likely get read this week to finish off the month, but I’m hoping to sneak in a few other books I’ve been meaning to read (if I finish everything else in time!). The reason for this is that ARC August will be happening soonafter this challenge ends, so I want to read other owned/non-review books I won’t get a chance to read in August. I wanted to read 10 backlist ebooks in 2019 so maybe this will be a good time to – ahem – start that…
TBR & Challenges
1. Read a book with purple on the cover | NOTES FROM A FORMER VIRGIN by Chastain – I originally had FINALE here but decided to hold off. The audiobook is available on Scribd at the beginning of August, so I thought it made more sense to read FINALE after the readathon and finish off with the audio after. In any case, I’m still reading NOTES and it has purple lettering on the cover.
2. Read a book in the same spot the entire time | THE TEA DRAGON FESTIVAL by O’Neill – I kept seeing this book in BEA hauls and thought it looked too adorable to pass up. I read the first one after checking it out from the library and want to get ahead on the next one. It’s a super short graphic novel and I read the first one in one sitting, so I expect to do the same with book two, in the same spot for the entire read.
3. Read a book you meant to read last year | TWIST by Akins – I’ve been meaning to finish this duo up for a while and I finally have multiple excuses to do so in July. It fits my Monthly Motif for the month, an item from my Picky Pledge/physical TBR, AND works for a book I meant to read last year.
4. Read an author’s first book | THE LAST BOOK PARTY by Dukess – I’m keeping this here as a bit of a placeholder. I requested it from the library to read for my Monthly Motif challenge but (a) I don’t know when it’s going to come in and (b) there are probably other debut books I could/would get to instead? We’ll see!
5. Read a book with a non-human main character | SAGA VOL. 7 by Vaughn – I caught up with a couple of volumes in the last month or so and would love to continue (and finish this graphic novel series off somewhat quickly). I think this would be the perfect time to pick up the next volume because it definitely has multiple non-human characters! (I also enjoy having 1-2 graphic novel options on a readathon TBR to ensure a good numbers boost.)
6. Pick a book that has five or more words in the title | DISENCHANTED: THE TRIALS OF CINDERELLA by Morrison – I switched this one out mid-challenge as well, simply because I had the audiobook available! ALL of the other books I selected were barely available for me as ebooks let alone as audiobooks, so I wanted to get some reading done in that format over the week. So, I downloaded this one and also got the library book out to finish it up.
7. Read and watch a book-to-movie adaptation | I don’t think I’ll get to this one, given the time of the challenge. If I read all of the quick books/graphic novels first, maaaaybe. I don’t have a lot of adaptations on my TBR, to be honest, and I don’t think I’ll have time or make time to see the movie too. I was thinking of the next DESCENDANTS book but I don’t remember if I’ve seen the second movie yet AND the third movie doesn’t come out until August.
Bonus: Read 7 books | It’s looking like I’ll get six done, at most, for this challenge, but we’ll see how I fare.